Thursday, September 30, 2010

Death of the Paper Boy

 When did they faze out paper boys? Why did they get replaced by creepy guys in wood paneled station wagons?

 I was a paper boy in 7th grade. I took over for Erik Webb, a kid from a few blocks over.  It was the Daily News route in my neighborhood and the day before I started, the route supervisor called and offered me a double sized route. Some other kid quit and I could take over Erik's route and the route adjacent to it . I took it and proceeded to make more money than any other kid I knew. I was taking in 80 bucks a week in the spring of 1981. I was rich!!!

 It was no walk in the park. Daily News required delivery by 7am, rain or shine. I set my alarm clock for 5am everyday. My Dad had a crazy old bicycle from the 1940's. He put a basket over the rear fender and attached a plastic milk crate to the handle bars. When fully loaded, it weighed a TON. Sundays?....4 TONS!!!!!

 Whenever the forecast called for rain, my Dad would wake up early and help me put every newspaper in a double wrapped plastic bag. My customers were ecstatic and tipped me accordingly. :)

 So the photos below are examples of "UNACCEPTABLE!".


Page Six: RUINED!!!

Waterlogged Post



No comments:

Post a Comment